Caninecancer.org.au

Discussion on Canine Cancer
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:50 am 

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to write about our experience with amputation. Sassy was a 6 year old Rottie who was diagnosed with Osteoscaroma (Bone Cancer). A very aggressive painful type of cancer. We had 2 inconclusive bone biopsies but we decided to go ahead with her amputation. This process all started Oct of 2012.
Sassy had her amputation on Nov 14, 2012. At the time of her amputation she was 138 pounds. Our vet wasn't sure if she could support her weight on 3 legs. She proved them wrong. The day of her amputation she hopped out to go potty and decided she was going to try to go on home. She almost pulled them out of the parking lot. Yes, on 3 legs. She came home the same evening most vets keep dogs overnight as my vet did not have overnight care I chose to bring her home versus taking her to an Emergency care vet.

Sassy really compared to some had a great recovery. The thing you have to remember is each dog is different and the 1st couple of weeks there are some ups & downs.

I am going to include some pictures of her & a link to her blog. But I do want to let you know she did cross the Rainbow Bridge August 20th, 2013. Almost 10 months after her amputation because the cancer spread to her lungs. The question I get asked most is would I do it again? Yes, I have no regrets about her amputation. It gave her almost 10 months of pain free life. We did do chemo therapy also.

1 day after amputation

4 days after amputation

video of Sassy walking/running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW9NtytSymU

I have added a couple of puppies to my pack since Sassy crossed so I do share about them on there but go back to the beginning & it tells about our journey.

here is a link to our blog at Tripawds.com http://sassysugarbear.tripawds.com/

And the best website for information about Tripawds is Tripawds.com & we have a chat room that is open 24/hours a day 7 days a week.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 am 

Thanks for posting this. I am sorry you lost Sassy but it does look like you managed to get rid of her pain of the osteosarcoma and give her a good life for the time you got with her. The video you posted was that long after surgery?

Unfortunately osteosarcoma spreads to the lungs in 90% of dogs. In Australia we are doing some research into a drug to help stop this happening. Four veterinary oncology centres as well as four human hospitals in Brisbane.
Looks promising. No pressure for our oncologists so I can get a grey next time around :)

http://bit.ly/LJBAaw

Thanks for the links to the tripawds as the group has some really helpful info for people that may need to consider this option. I think it is worth talking to others that have experienced this so you can hear different views. They are first hand experiences

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 am 

The video was in April of 2013. I have some of her in December when we had snow I can post later on if you would like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:10 am 

Yeah that would be great. The more info we can get for our website users the better. The amputation forum is good timing for our Aussie research.