Caninecancer.org.au

Discussion on Canine Cancer
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm 

What a beautiful tribute to your gorgeous boy. I'm in tears and I wish there was something I could do or say to make it better. You were extremely brave and did the ultimate act of love for Maxwell. I know it's no consolation but you gave him a wonderful life right up until the end, and he wasn't suffering.

My beautiful girl Pip has high grade mast cell cancer where the prognosis is poor. She is doing well but the thought of losing her has me in pieces. Our doggies mean so much and even 40 years wouldn't be enough. I think that I am already grieving as you feel so cheated, she was only 10 on Valentine's Day. I know that some people don't understand your grief - but when my beloved Dad was ill (and subsequently died), it was the exact same emotion. The disbelief, the "it can't be happening to us".

I just want you to know that we are thinking of you and your beloved Maxwell. I understand that you may not want to read about other's cancer struggles at the moment but there is a wonderful, supportive group on FB named "Canine Cancer Help and Support". Thank you also for the gorgeous photos, he was a lovely dog indeed.

Sending love from Australia.

Kristy, Pip & Gidget

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 am 

Thank you so very much for your kindness and words, they are both much needed. I am so sorry that you and your little girl, Pip are going through this. My Maxwell was asuch a sweet, loving, calming boy, and I know right now he is watching you and Pip and sending love and blessings for the both of you. He was quite the protector and loved so much. My heart goes out to you as well and my thoughts and prayers.
I miss him so much, and I'm trying to come to terms with his passing but it is just so hard. A happy, smiling, jumping in the snow Maxwell, and then 24 hrs later he is gone. It's been 18 days and somehow it still feels surreal. Somehow it still seems like I'll wake up from this nightmare. He was my closest And dearest best friend. He was all I had, so loving and sweet.
I just hope he doesn't think I gave up on him. I never would have. I would have fought until there was no more left in me. I never thought it would end like this. I wanted him to have every day possible, happy and spoiled. He deserved it. All our babies deserve it.
Prayers and strength to you and your Pip, I hope she kicks the heck out of her cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:10 am 

Thank you for the name of that Facebook group, I will have to look at that I have joined a group that is dedicated to dogs that have passed or are currently fighting hemangiosarcoma. It is so sad. It has helped to receive such caring from those of you who understand. In our daily lives it is so hard to come across those who are as dedicated to our dog and cat babies, and understand the unconditional love and feeling of loss when they leave us.
Maxwell truly was the very best friend I ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:13 am 

[b]From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,”
or “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”

They don’t understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for “just a dog.”

Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.”
Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,”
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
“just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you probably understand
phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.”

“Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.

“Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.

Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog”
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

“Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its’ not “just a dog”
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
“just a man” or “just a woman.”

So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,”
just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

- Unknown Author

[b]
[/b][/b]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:07 pm 

The thought of losing my girl is just too much to even think about. So I can imagine your devastation.

When I lost my beloved Dad I would often read this quote, now one of my favourites. I hope it helps you in a small way. With love...

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together there is something you must always remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart I'll always be with you.”
~Winnie the Pooh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:23 am 

Such a beautiful quote, thank you so much. It's like nothing I've ever experienced. I needed him so much, still do. Probably more than he needed me. I keep adding him to pages and I've started a few fundraising pages in memory of him for the ASPCA and the National Canine Cancer Foundation. I somehow keep thinking that with the next add or the next page, I'll have him back. I don't know how to explain it, In my head I know this isn't possible, but my heart wants so much to believe it. I guess I think the more people that know of him, how special and wonderful he was, he'll come back back. Again, I know this isn't possible but I guess it's true in a way, he'll live on in memory. He gave me so much, love, understanding, comfort, security. I want to keep giving to him. 5 1/2 years together isn't enough time to give him all I wanted to. I just miss him, so much. He'd let me get all cuddled up with him and wouldn't even move. I loved that so much. I think, I know, he did too. I keep hoping he will come to me in my dreams so I can hold him again and nuzzle him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:30 pm 

So sorry for you loss of the gorgeous Maxwell. You wrote such a lovely verse and it is from the heart. I hope the pain eases for you soon. You never forget and one day you will meet again and he will be waiting for you,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 pm 

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful poem and much loved dog.