Caninecancer.org.au

Discussion on Canine Cancer
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sam Sam's Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:47 pm 

Mid afternoon today I received an email from one of the Pounds we rescue from. I was asked if we could take a boy that no one wanted. He was 'overdue' meaning he was past his euthanasia date. It meant he would get no reprieve after today.

The heat was on. This boy came in and had done his time. Matted beyond belief, and aged, he was not a good candidate for direct adoption, nor was he of interest to other rescue groups. I can't blame them. We rescue what we can, when we can.

The pound staff are amazing. They took this boy aside and cut his matts off, making him more comfortable. He was overgrown and couldn't see. He was neglected, and probably uncomfortable in his coat. Now that it was colder in Sydney, they put him in a fresh jumper and he was warm in his pen, and when you think how other dogs are treated in Pounds around Australia, you could fall at the feet of these people who truly care.

The girls at the pound sent me pictures. On examining Sam, we have placed his age around 11 years ish. He is terribly underweight, so much so that the micro-chip shows under his skin.

He needs a massive dental, and we have found that Sam does indeed have un descended testicles. One side is still up in the groin area, the other has the massive tumour attached. Sam also has a mild heart murmur.

Because Sam has been coughing we were unsure whether or not he had kennel cough from being in the pound or if there are tumours in his lungs, so we needed an X-ray done first. The X-ray has shown his lungs are clear *phew*, the coughing must be due to Kennel Cough. So we are into the second stage of treating Sam today and that is surgery. He has been heartworm tested (negative), will be flea and intestinal worm treated, have a dental, and have his un descended testicle removed along with the other one presenting with the massive tumour.

The pathology results on Sam’s tumor are not good. The mass is cancerous, and it is an aggressive type of cancer. So what do we do? We start finding out as much as we can about this cancer, in order to give Sam the best quality and chance at life that we can give him. Hope he likes veggies, garlic and fish….

Will Sam win against the tumor that invaded his body? We don’t know right now, but it’s really not relevant.

We have given Sam a chance…. A chance that his former owners never gave him…. And whether his time comes in months or in years, Sam will not be alone, and he will know that he is loved……

For just over 2 years, he was MY boy.... WhooWhooing when I got home, standing first in line when it was Schmacko time, and scaring the stuffing out of all of us when he felt “the call of the wild” at 2am!!!

Sammy's cancer returned last month (Sept. '10)...... viciously.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

the lady that got Sam out of the pound is Kay from Rescued With Love. I nagged her to get Sam Sam out and she did. I was so blessed because of her.......

Post subject: Re: Sam Sam's Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thanks for sharing your story. I really hope in time we can treat this horrible disease better and save more lives. So much needs to be done. I checked the link and what a cute dog he was. He was lucky he ended up with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:51 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1-h9QXKKQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:53 pm 

Thanks for sharing this video. I can really relate to the rescue dog story as I always get the ones they say should be put down. It was lovely the way you put it together