Caninecancer.org.au

Discussion on Canine Cancer
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:39 pm 

As a customer with dogs insured with Petplan in Australia, I happened to be on their Facebook page a couple of months ago and noticed some unfavourable customer reviews that were displayed at the time. I can no longer seem to find these reviews only a link back to their website for comments. If anyone can find them I will stand corrected. I wonder why I can no longer find them??

As a result of these reviews which mainly related to the high cost rises since the new policies started coming out in March this year, I thought I would investigate the policy myself. Many people claimed massive increases. I have also spoken to the senior people at Petplan in regard to the new changes to the policies. I want facts and only facts no sell. I can make my own opinion based on these facts.

The problem I have with what is claimed is an overhaul of the policy is that all the current clients are effected by these changes. In many cases (like mine) people have older dogs which cant get illness insurance elsewhere (due to age) and others have previously had claims and in many cases these claims could mean pre existing conditions if they were to change to another insurer. In effect that gives people like me two choices. First to pay what I have been verbally told (dont find out officially until the policy renewal comes due) amounts to a huge increase 100% or close to it, or failing that withdraw from pet insurance all together. I have been with Petplan several years. I have one dog who is 11 with no claims history (but unable to go elsewhere due to age if I want illness as well) and the other has a two minor claims which I have officially been told elsewhere would be pre existing.

My own policies have gone from what was called Standard Dog to the new product that those currently on Standard Dog will be offered called Classic Ultimate. I have not checked the Clauses Boarding Kennel Fees, Holiday Cancellation and a couple of others, primarily because they do not affect me personally and it is time consuming to go through every Clause and make comparisons.

These are the changes in simple terms between the Petplan policy prior to March this year Standard Dog and the new policy now called Classic Ultimate which will be issued as renewals come due to existing customers.

http://caninecancer.org.au/documents.html Which has been taken from my current policy document and the new document I was sent.

I have requested information on what the percentage of any vet bill that I will be required to pay when the new policy comes due. I have been unable to find out until the policy renewal arrives. Does thiis mean it is no longer across the board as the previous years and clear for all to see? Is percentage now based on previous claim history? I think fair questions for dog owners to ask in the interest of transparency. .

Not all dog owners get 100% of their vet bill paid. For many dog owners this is not the case, Age pays a part in it and breed may also.

Petplan is not the only pet insurance company that has a for Life policy. I dont know all that do but Bow Wow Meow is another that does.

In terms of the Petplan claim service the last claim I made with them for about $400 (approx) took several months to complete. All documentation was provided at the time of claim and no further vet records were called for. I also recently claimed via Bow Wow Meow for the passing of Frodo in April. I was paid out several thousand dollars in 36 hrs in contrast.

It is hard to give advice on pet insurance other than to say choose wisely as once you make the first claim it may well prevent you from going elsewhere. The pre-existing clause is definitely not clear on countless conditions. Pet insurance companies do not advise you of any specific pre-existing conditions in my experience until after you make your first claim. This is when they inspect your pets medical records and deem whether or not something is pre existing. It makes it very hard for owners. Even if you ask them upfront when you call you may not get the right advice on a pre-existing as the decision comes down to what is determined by someone else from claims who is not who you talk to when you make enquiries on pet insurance.'

I invite the Underwriter at Petplan to comment on the facts of the changes in policy I have posted. If it is felt that there is something inaccurate I am happy to give her the opportunity to correct it for all dog owners. In the interests of transparency for dog owners, lets keep to the facts though not enter into a marketing spiel.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 pm 

Thanks for this information. Very important points you have shown us. Insurance companies always seem to disguise things in the way they right there books.

I would not use this one if this is what can happen to customers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:44 pm 

Great idea to show the differences like this.

I cancelled my policy with Petplan as it went through the roof and it was not value for money. I couldnt afford $100 a month approximately. I put money away in the bank each week for vet fees. Much better value for money and I don't have to wait forever to get the money back on a claim or find out my claim has been denied.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:50 pm 

Good info. It does seem Pet Plan have made some negative changes, be it for existing customer or new customers.

Having recently been on the insurance hunt myself, I've also done a bit of research. Noticing that Bow Wow Meow now has 'covered for life' in there cover where previously all Hollard underwritten insurers would only pay the years cover out for an ongoing item I looked at the PDS of Pet Insurance Australia (also Hollard).

I couldn't find such a clause that had this restriction in it, the old PDS did.

They confirmed by email that it has been taken out.

I'd inquire with each insurer first but it would appear on face value that Hollard underwritten companies have improved some of the questionable insurance restrictions that made Pet Plan the better option. 80% vs 100% cover generally seems to stand, but the cost of premiums can also be substantially different.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:53 pm 

I have also spoken to the Underwriters at Hollard and it would seem that some of the changes in their policies have definately improved across the board. A year or so ago my Bow Wow policy went up 25% and I rang up to find out why. At the time I had a limit of $8 000 which had been increased to $12 000. Also it had become a Life policy for things like cancer instead of a payment of that amount on cancer over the future years of the policy. Previously I had the $8000 cap on cancer (amongst other illness) and once I had used that limit that was it for the future. The change meant I could claim $12 000 for cancer each and every year. This was just one area that had improved and I thought on this basis the increase was justified and I stayed with Bow Wow for Frodo.

As for Petplan and the 100% cover that is not for all policy holders. One has to remember that there is also an excess (cant find out what that is now). If you have a small vet bill say $500 or less once the excess comes off are you better off with other companies that have no excess but pay say 80%. You would get $400 back in that case but with Petplan once the excess comes off and if you get the 100% you would still get potentially less back anyway.